My mom was watching Paula Deen when she saw this recipe. She was inspired, and made this recipe based on the Smithfield sausage and lentil recipe.
This recipe is hearty, yet healthy. One of my co-workers even made this as part of her Thanksgiving dinner. Hmmm, I think B and I will make this for dinner tonight.
• 1 pound sliced Kielbasa
• 1 1/2 cups cubed Ham steak
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 1 large onion, chopped
• 1 large green bell pepper, diced
• 2 medium carrots, cubed
• 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
• 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
• 1 bay leaf
• 2 cloves garlic, minced (chopped)
• 6 - 8 cups chicken stock
• One 28-oz. can crushed peeled tomatoes
• 2 cups dried lentils
• 12 large fresh spinach leaves, cut into small pieces
• Salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add sliced kielbasa and cubbed ham and cook until browned and crispy. Remove sausage and ham and place on a platter.
2. Add onion, green pepper, carrot and spices to the saucepan Saute for a few minutes.
3. Add chicken stock, tomatoes, lentils and sliced sausage.
4. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer over low heat for 2 hours.
5. After 2 hours turn off heat and discard bay leaf.
6. Add salt, pepper and spinach let stand for 2 to 3 minutes before serving.