Vegetarian optional by leaving out bacon.
1 small onion
5 carrots (2 cut into 3 pieces each, the other 3 diced and set aside)
3 celery stalks (1 cut into 3 pieces, the other 2 diced and set aside)
4 strips of bacon (or more if wanted) -- THIS IS OPTIONAL
4 tbsp olive oil (+ 2 TBSP olive oil if not using bacon)
4 tbsp Balsamic vinegar
8 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 tsp honey
Salad (either mixed greens or spinach)
1) Place lentils in bowl with whole onion, big carrot and celery chunks. Cover with water. Cook until lentils are tender (maybe 30-40 minutes depending on your stove). Add more water if it cooks off.
2) drain lentils, run cold water over them to stop the cooking process. Discard onion, celery and carrots. Set lentils aside in large bowl. Season with salt.
3) Cook bacon (I like to bake in the oven at 375-400 for 10-15 minutes or until crispy). Reserve bacon grease. Cup up bacon into bite size pieces and set aside.
4) Put bacon grease (2 tbsp or so) in pan. Saute diced celery and carrots (use olive oil if not using bacon in recipe). 5-7 minutes or until tender.
5) Dressing: Mix 4 tbsp olive oil, 4 tbsp balsamic vinegar, 8 teaspoons lemon juice, 1 heaping tsp honey. Add salt and pepper to taste.
6) combine lentils, onions, celery, salad, and toss with dressing. Salt and pepper to taste.
7) Mix in bacon if you are using. Or serve on the side if you prefer.
Recipe lightly adapted from Alice's Tea Cup Cook Book