Melissa just moved to a new house which has a huge garden including a grape arbor. 2009 has been filled with all sorts of awesome cooking projects. Among them is homemade grape juice!
Ingredients & Tools
2 big pots
one big bowl
4 or 5 lbs of grapes
1. Place grapes into large vat or sink. Fill it with water and separate all the good grapes into the big bowl.
2. Mash grapes with a potato masher
3. Place into one big pot and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Let simmer for at least 10 minutes.
4. Mash mixture a few more times while simmering, and stir every occasionally to ensure nothing sticks to the bottom.
5. Place a fine strainer or cheesecloth (strainer would be easier) over the other big pot and strain out all the seeds and skins. There will still be a bunch of sediment, so you may want to strain twice. A third straining will make the juice less thick feeling.
6. Let it cool, or pour over ice and enjoy!
7. Add sugar if you need to, but taste it first without sugar.
Note: 1lb of grapes only makes about a cup or so of juice.
This recipe was obtained from Simply Recipes