My friend Swati made vegetable lasagnia at a party 4 years ago and I enjoyed it so much that I stole the recipe from her. Now think I make this recipe more often than Swati does. It's soooo tasty!!! Also, this is a great dish to cook in bulk and freeze in individual serving sizes!
Lasagna noodles (I prefer the no bake kind because it's easier)
Butternut squash 1 large, or 2 small
Tomato sauce (what ever you prefer)
2 tablespoons pesto 2 tablespoons
2 bags shredded cheese (I prefer the Mexican mix, but mozzarella works too)
1 medium container ricotta cheese (I prefer the low fat/part-skim ricotta)
Frozen chopped spinach
1. Cook butternut squash until soft. You can either peel, cube and boil the squash or halve and clean out the squash and then bake in a glass pan (skin up) with about an inch of water until soft (approximately 30-45 minutes.
2. In a bowl, smash butternut squash. Mix in pesto and the thawed and squeezed spinach.
3. In a large glass pan, put one layer of tomato sauce.
4. Add a layer of lasagna noodles.
5. Add a layer of ricotta cheese.
6. Add a layer of butternut squash mixture.
7. Add a layer of shredded cheese.
8. Add a layer of tomato sauce.
9 Repeat steps 3-8 until you have 3-4 layers.
10. Top with tomato sauce, shredded cheese, and a little parmesan cheese.
11. Cover dish with foil. Bake for 30 minutes at 375 degrees.
12. Remove foil. Bake 10-15 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
13. Let stand 5 minutes.
14. Serve with additional tomato sauce if desired.