This is a sauce that is best made when you have a full afternoon to let things simmer because it tastes best if the juices from the meat have time to really simmer in the sauce. But holy batman, is this sauce tasty! Use it in lasagna, or on plain spaghetti... you won't be disappointed.
The recipe makes a really big batch. If you aren't cooking in bulk, you might want to half it.
• Italian Sausage – 2 hot and 2 mild (in casing)
• 2 lbs of Ground beef
• 1 onion
• 2 – 28oz cans of crushed Tomatoes
• 2 – 28 oz can of Tomato puree
• 2 - 28 oz can of Diced Tomatoes
• 2 – small cans of Tomato Paste
• Saute onions and garlic (the amount of garlic depends on your preference.
I’d probably use 8 – 12 cloves).
• Add ground beef and brown.
• Cook sausage in a pan or in the oven. Once cooked (not too hard) slice into bite sized
• Combine all tomatoes into a large pot with cover.
• Add meat, onions, and garlic. Cook on medium until bubbling.
• Simmer all day, the longer the better.
• Add to your favorite dish, or just sop up with bread.