My MIL Carin was in South Africa a few years ago and brought this recipe back with her. This is super tasty, and a great meal to make for a large group!
2 onions - diced
1 slice white bread
1 cup milk
2 pounds ground beef
1 tbsp curry powder
1 tbsp sugar
2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp turmeric
1 tbsp garam masala
2 tbsp vinegar
3 tbsp apricot preserves
6 almonds - chopped
1/2 cup raisons
4 bay leaves
1. Saute onions, add ground beef and saute
2. Soak the bread in milk, squeeze the milk into a bowl (set aside)
3. break apart the bread slice and place in mixing bowl
4. Mix the onions, beef, 1 egg, sugar, curry, salt, pepper, turmeric, garam masala, apricot preserves, almonds, vinegar and raisins together
5. Place mixture in baking dish, insert bay leaves into the meat.
6. Cook at 350 (175 C) for 60 minutes
7. Beat 1 egg and milk that had been set aside. Pour over the meat and bake for an additional 30 minutes.